Oxytocin is also known as a love hormone for its essential roles in sexual bonding, pregnancy, birth, and emotional connection. Apart from the natural oxytocin, there is the artificial one that can either be administered as a nasal spray or an injection. For prescription purposes, you can acquire it under brand names like Syntocinon or Pitocin.
Using oxytocin in your nasal spray may cause side effects. Before using this, contact the AURhinoplastyMelbourne clinic to make sure that it is safe for use.
Oxytocin side effects
As it’s said that anything with advantage has a disadvantage, inhaling the oxytocin have some side effects that include:
- Psychiatric effects: results when taken in high doses and it causes mania and memory impairment.
- Ocular effects include neonatal retinal hemorrhages.
- Local effects include rhinorrhea and nasal irritation.
- Renal effects are caused by a reduction of glomerular filtration rate and renal plasma flow thus reducing urine output.
- Respiratory effects: it leads to pulmonary edema.
- Gastrointestinal effects: it leads to vomiting and nausea.
- Hepatic effects: it causes neonatal jaundice condition.
- Cardiovascular effects: it leads to conditions like premature ventricular contractions, hypertension, cardiac arrhythmias, and sinus tachycardia.
- Nervous system effects: it leads to breakdowns and insanity like disturbances that are connected to water intemperance. In some situations, a person may suffer from brain damage and neonatal seizures.
- Metabolic effects: they result from water intoxication thus leading to seizures and a coma.
- Hematologic effects: includes disastrous afibrinogenemia and postpartum hemorrhage.
- Genitourinary effects: they include a condition like a pelvic hematoma. When oxytocin is taken in excess, it leads to uterine hypertonicity, pelvic fracture, spasm, rupture, and tetanic contraction.
Before such side effects chips in, you should alert your physician that moment you detect the following symptoms:
- Severe headache
- Difficulties in breathing
- Fast heartbeat
- Loss of appetite
In conclusion, instead of using the artificial oxytocin, you can raise your natural levels by; meditating when focusing on others, giving gifts, using social media, having a pet like a dog, sharing a meal, and by telling those around you that you love them.